It’s getting colder by the day. How do I not get sick?
I am writing to you from my couch in a ball because I have a cold. FML. As you may or may not know I am very conscious of my health and am always trying my best to stay as healthy as I can (duh, I am a wellness coach). When I woke up sick this morning I thought to myself “How could I have prevented this? Where did I go wrong?” Well, to say the least, I realized a few faults and I want to share them with you that way you that way you can avoid feeling crappy as we approach the winter.
First, let’s start with what my life was prior to my cold. We just got out of the holiday season so that meant lots of drinking and eating lots of sweets, my sleep was everywhere and my life got a little hectic and I just didn’t have time. On top of that, the weather was getting colder and colder by the day.
What should I have done to prevent this cold? Take care of myself more. The fact that I was drinking more, sleeping less, weather getting colder, drinking less water and overall making my health the last of my priorities was a sign that I should have made the time to take care of myself.
Here is a quick checklist for you to follow while this winter (especially in NYC) kicks our booties (not in a good way):
- Stay hydrated. In the winter it is natural for us to crave less water than the summer time but that doesn’t mean our body actually needs less water. We need more water. Plus this helps our skin and hair stay hydrated. PLUS alcohol dehydrates you even more so water is a must.
- Sleep. So overlooked but so important. There is nothing more important on this planet than your minimum 7 hours of sleep. NOTHING. why? because if you feel like crap or get sick then you cant deliver to the world. You cant show up the way you want to show up. Plus there are studies that show that a lack of sleep affects your brain which in turn you make bad decisions; usually impulsive and included junky food.
- Take care of your immune system. Have you ever thought about all the things your immune system is fighting? Everyday bacterias, germs, and a whole lot more. Your immune system is mainly in your gut, which gets affected by the food and drinks you take in. If you have been eating really bad and overdoing alcohol how is your immune system supposed to fight the current battle it’s fighting plus the new virus/bacterias? I mean really, we expect so much from our bodies and never understand why we are sick but you really are what you eat. This is the easiest way to take care of our immune system without changing our entire life:
- Drink probiotics daily. This adds good bacteria to our body to help out weight the bad ones. I prefer refrigerated one but this is a good one.
- Drink a green powder daily. I swear by this and it always proves me right when I am consistent. I am never going to get in all the greens I need in a day but with this its possible. This supports my immune system, digestion and a whole lot more. My favorite is this one.
- Take natural immune boosting herbs. The three herbs I swear by are Oregano Oil, Olive Leaf Oil, and Astralagus. Here is a post I made a few years ago about them. Hands down the best way to maintain your immune system.
Learn from my mistakes guys, take care of your body when times are crazy. These are all simple and can be done daily.